I needed a place to compile all the recipes I collect from all over the internet... so I made this blog. It's mostly just so I can organize my recipes online instead of in a tangible book but you can definitely try any of the yummy "keeper" recipes I've found!


Friday, February 25, 2011

Quinoa Veggie Burritos


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe!! This is a MUST TRY!!

I went to a multi-grain cooking class by Joy Ercanbrack at the Kitchen Kneads in Logan, UT. (It was my Valentines Day present- thanks husbando!!) It was a fabulous class and she made multiple dishes with all types of grains. The grain she uses in this INCREDIBLE recipe is Quinoa (Keen-wa).

Side notes:
*I used the white quinoa because that is all I could find in the store. (It worked just as well)
*I use whatever wheat or multi-grain tortilla I can find at the store.
*Don't get scared of all the ingredients. It is really easier than you think! You can make it easier by using minced garlic instead of real, using lime juice from a plastic lime than a real one, etc!
*You must serve with the ranch dip! I know it doesn't make it as healthy but it is so good! It's optional to add the cilantro to the dip but if you do it tastes like Cafe Rio's tomatilla dressing- so good!
*I summarized some of the directions so if you have any questions, just ask!
*This is a huge batch (it makes 12-14 burritos) but it stores easy and is so yummy you'll want to just keep eating it!
*Sorry I don't have a picture yet! Next time I make it I will take one!

1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (15 oz) can hominy (find in the grocery store by corn)
1 (15 oz) can black eyed peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup red quinoa (cooked)
1 jalepeno pepper
4 green onions
1/2 cup yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper
2 tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro
1 (11.5 oz) can V8 juice
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1 small lime
1 Tbs olive oil
1 or 2 avocados
2 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
Whole wheat tortilla wraps (Papa Tortilla brand tastes good and folds easily)

RINSE THE QUINOA (it removes the saponin. You can get sick if you don't rinse it!). Quinoa will double in size when boiled so to make 1 cup cooked quinoa; boil 1 cup water and 1/2 cup quinoa. It takes about 15 minutes for the water to absorb. The grain will be open and tender to the bite when cooked.

Drain cans of black beans, white hominy, and black eyed peas. Add frozen corn. Rinse well with cool water and place colander in the sink to continue draining while preparing fresh ingredients.

Chop/dice all the vegetables and combine with the bean mixture in a large mixing bowl. Pour in V8 juice and spices. Gently fold in avocado and cheese.

Place 2/3 cup of filling in the center of a tortilla. Fold burrito style.

Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray. Place burritos on cookie sheet and spray the burritos with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top is toasted golden brown. Turn burritos over and spray again and bake for 10 additional minutes until all the burrito is toasted and the filling is hot. Serve with avocado ranch dip

Wrap leftover burritos individually in foil. Reheat in oven set at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

AVOCADO RANCH DIP
1 cup ranch
1/2 avocado
(optional) handful of cilantro

Puree in food processor

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I also took the class but lost the recipe!

    ReplyDelete